martedì 7 maggio 2013

Holden Caulfield Thinks You're a Phony

Day due of this picture thing! I decide to theme it on a book that I originally thought was pretty lame, but I came to appreciate the humor of it in my old age. If you don't understand the title of this blog, YOU'VE NEVER LIVED! Just joshing ya, it's a reference to the quality book Ze Catcher in ze Rye. I was just looking up book quotes and I came upon the one and only Holden. So here's the picture.
Some amusing person from the Internet titled this picture "Holden goddam Caulfield." I take it they read the book.
Okay, so here are some great quotes from the book and from the amazing mind of our dear depressed Holden. I thought these were funny, I really did. For real.
“And I have one of those very loud, stupid laughs. I mean if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I'd probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up.” 
“Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.” 
“I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible.”
“Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.”
“How would you know you weren't being a phony? The trouble is you wouldn't," says Holden, on the topic of lawyers.
“I was surrounded by phonies...They were coming in the goddam window.” 
"It's funny. Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” AWW!
"I didn't want a bunch of stupid rubbernecks looking at me when I was all gory.” 

4 commenti:

  1. Factoid: The Party of Five family, which I'm pretty sure you've heard about, had interesting first names, yes? Charlie, Bailey, Griffin (though he's technically an in-law), ... But did you know their last name? Salinger. That's right, Salinger. A shout-out to Holden's creator, I'm pretty sure.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Ha! Those were all funny. Haha I stalk this blog! ;) I like the movie theater one, the liar one, the flowers one XD, and the rubbernecks. LOL. I should read the book...

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Yes you should! It's a classic. A depressing classic, but a classic nonetheless.

      Elimina