lunedì 23 aprile 2012

DIY Craft Post: Popsicle-Stick Eyes (sounds pretty weird, huh? Don't I know it.)

gods_eye.gif (18215 bytes)
I don't think I've ever done a craft post before, but it's never too late to start, right? Today we'll be learning about (I sound like a cooking show! Hi, my name is Rachael Ray...) god's eyes, which sound really weird but are really fun to make! Here's a picture of one (note that these are just MINI god's eyes; the ones I usually make are much bigger):
       I was researching these guys on Google, and I discovered a bunch of cool stuff about them. So here's a quick-but-cool (at least I think so, but then again, that's me, the history geek) S.S. lesson about "Ojos de Dios", or "Eyes of God". Pretty interesting stuff. Apparently these crafts were started by the ancient Huichol of Mexico. The central "eye" in the middle was made when a child was born, and each year a bit of yarn was added until the child turned five, when the eye was complete. Nice work, historical guys!
      Here's what you'll need to make these God's eyes:
~string/yarn (single-colored, or multi-colored like the Huichol!)
~Popsicle sticks (to make the mini ones, just use mini craft sticks)
~optional: tacky glue (I don't ever use glue for these; more about that later)

Aaaand now here's what to do:
     1. Glue two Popsicle sticks together, forming an X. Glue the end of the string to the middle where your sticks cross, or tie the string around the middle.
     2. Start by wrapping the string over and around one "leg" of one craft stick, then over and around the next leg. Pull the string tight each time, and push it toward the center. Here's a picture of how the back of the eye should look: 
godseye.gif (2175 bytes)
     3. Continue until the craft sticks are covered. If you still haven't really gotten how to weave the yarn around the sticks, there's another picture to show you how to do it at the bottom. 
If you want, you can glue the end of the string to the back of the God's eye, or (this is what I do) just take the very end of the string and push it through the back of the eye and smooth it out. Good luck!

 Ciao for now! <3 <3 <3 PINKY

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento